The Student News Site of Granite Falls High School

Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Freshmen Frenzy

BOTC ’24: Freshmen Edition
Freshmen+Frenzy
Michael Wood

Battle of the Classes is a very interesting experience for newcomers (such as myself). Before the main events and Spirit Days and all that jazz, the Freshmen had no idea where to start. Thankfully, Mrs. Roberts, the Freshman class advisor, helped us out. Some of the Freshmen voted, and we decided our theme to be Disney’s Elemental (2023), a movie about rocks and water and stuff (I don’t know, I haven’t fully watched the film). Before the BOTC event even started, we began planning our hallway (which won third place, but hey—top four!), giving us an advantage in catching up to the more experienced grades. (By the way—shoutout to the people who labored over the hallway and gym decorations. I thought it looked great, and the effort you put into it showed.)

The Freshmen started BOTC strong. We won second place on the opening spirit day and first in the following rock-paper-scissors surprise event. (Rock, paper, scissors is a strange game. Who invented it? Where did it come from? These are the questions that keep me up at night.) Afterwards, we earned second place on two additional occasions (2/20 spirit day, and the Mystery BOTC event) and gained first place once more in Powderpuff Football crowd support. After that, we won third and fourth place for all the other events.

The Freshmen did (unfortunately) end up in last place, but hey—if you flip the scoreboard, we’re on top. And you know what they say: the real treasure was the friends we made along the way. (But bragging rights would be fine, too.) Overall, the freshmen did an amazing job considering most had no idea what BOTC is, and where to begin with it. We learned a lot this BOTC season, and will come in strong next year!