The Student News Site of Granite Falls High School

Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Sleepy Sophomore Struggles

BOTC ’24: Sophomore Edition
Michael Wood

No one thought we could pull through. Sophomores were down by a lot, coming up in last place in the beginning weeks of BOTC. In those final days, the one collective goal was to beat the Freshmen. We can get the Juniors back next year, but if we lost to the new kids, that would have been a BOTC career ender. Spirit days weren’t our thing, but it would be alright. We were going to make up for our class’ lack of “peppiness”.

To everyone’s surprise, the Sophomores took second place in hallway decorations. We decorated the math hallway with our theme (Frozen), which started with Elsa’s castle, and transitioned to the Frozen trolls, the Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post and Sauna, and many of Anna and Elsa’s various outfits. When it was announced during 6th period that we took second place, everyone was cheering. It was the first of a series of victories for the sophomores.

While our sports teams were small, they were organized, and taught by student coaches from different sports. The first sports event, Macho Volleyball, we wound up taking third place, with an outpour of support from fans. Powderpuff Football was yet another step in the right direction, but it took a lot to make our touchdown dreams happen. Starting off out Thursday night lights, we were up against the Seniors. Thankfully, with some great plays led by our coaches, and amazing effort put forth by the players, sophomores made it to the next round, only losing to the Juniors by 2 points.

After all of the fun events leading up to the big day, it was time for the eight hour shift for making decorations, lasting until 10 pm. Fueled by Mr. Dinwiddie’s snacks, and Costco pizza, the tenth grade class slowly turned a corner of the gym into an actual Frozen vision. With Frozen being the theme, we completed our decorating with character photo booths, a very swanky summer Olaf living his best life, and even realistic trees. When the day finally arrived, everyone dressed in their matching BOTC shirts, and excitedly waited for the start. This was the fun part, where no one could speak the next day from yelling and shrieking so excitedly and loudly. Winning several second place trophies in the Skit, Dizzy Bat, Stroke the Boat, and Dodgeball, it was a thrilling main event.

It seemed to be over as quickly as it began. The paper came down fast, all of our hard work going out to the dump trucks behind the gym. After completely trashing the gym, people wandered back inside to help each other peel tape off the walls. Everyone gathered around each other in a huddle to hear the announcements of who won. We didn’t, of course, but at least we have our Senior year.