The Student News Site of Granite Falls High School

Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Banned Book Review: The Hate U Give

A stellar review of a stellar book!

Hello! It’s me again, and I’m here to review the stunning novel The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas.

This novel is called The Hate U Give, referring to Tupac Shakur’s philosophy of “Thug Life,” which he said stood for “the hate u give little infants effs everyone.” Essentially, it means that showing negative attitudes towards the youth has a widespread effect and impacts everyone, rather than the people directly involved.

I love this book, and for a debut novel, it did really, really well. It’s won about a dozen awards, was adapted for a film, and was a #1 New York Times Bestseller for over 80 weeks.

The Hate U Give is one of the first books I have read (so far in this “Banned Books” series) that I rate 5/5 stars. Its brutal honesty and authenticity certainly connect with many readers.

The novel also has a lot of educational value, showing how racial inequality affects everyone, as well as demonstrating police brutality. I started and finished it in less than a week, making it the second-shortest time I’ve taken to finish a banned book. I highly recommend The Hate U Give to older audiences because, just as Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower did, it gave me a better understanding of what some people might be going through.

Many school curriculums and libraries removed The Hate U Give due to its excessive profanity, violence, depictions of racism, substance use, and anti-police views.

However, I think The Hate U Give is a groundbreaking novel that deserves all of the rewards it has received, and I stand by my 5/5 star rating and recommend it to anyone seeking a powerful read.

Here’s a quick summary of the plot:

After going to a party and witnessing the fatal shooting of her unarmed black friend, Khalil, by a white police officer, protests quickly start to erupt, and Starr (our main character) faces the dilemma of balancing two collapsing worlds while also coping with Khalil’s murder. Through Starr’s perspective, readers gain insight into the harsh realities faced by black communities and the importance of speaking out against injustice.