The Student News Site of Granite Falls High School

Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Godzilla Minus One Review

Godzilla Minus One Review

Godzilla Minus One is the latest addition to the ‘Godzilla’ films made by Toho. This film follows a young Japanese Kamikaze pilot, Koichi Shikishima (played by Kamiki Ryunosuke), as he deals with the guilt of being a failed kamikaze pilot, as well as one of the two people to survive an encounter with Godzilla. This film is a celebration of the 70th anniversary of the original 1954 Godzilla movie. This movie dives into the themes of guilt and the consequences of war, as Godzilla is a metaphor for both of those themes while he follows Koichi in his path of destruction. Critics say this is “among one of the best film experiences ever!”, and I agree. The cinematography, the score, and the themes all contribute to creating this exceptional film. These elements instill in the audience a truly horrifying sense of dread. In one scene, Godzilla uses his iconic atomic breath, and the sheer destruction that it is capable of is incredible. The scene uses very creative ways to show the impact of the explosion caused by the atomic breath, like the sudden quietness right before the impact, and the ear bursting loudness of destruction right after. The acting by Kamiki Ryunosuke is spectacular because he is able to make you feel exactly how the character does. This is shown right after the explosion when the young woman he took in was blown away by the blast. His character screams out of grief, horror, as well as pure helplessness, and it’s such a powerful scene. The final scene of the movie shows Koichi’s rollercoaster of emotions as he deals with the thought that he shouldn’t continue living, in contrast with his desire to remain with the child the young woman brought with her. I fell in love with the Godzilla franchise because of this movie, so I believe it deserves all the praise it has received, and I think it’s a must-watch.